>>Show me the output of the following:
>>     SHOW GRANTS FOR 'username'@'hostname';
output:
mysql> show grants for 'root@localhost';
ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near 'grants for 'root@localhost'' at
line 1

I noticed that my user table doesn't seem to have all the fields it should.  I
upgraded from an older version of mysql back in November.  There are 4 fields missing
(Grant_priv, References_priv, Index_priv, Alter_priv).  I just read on www.mysql.com
that I need to run mysql_install_db.  I assume this will alter the table structure to
include the new fields, but will it also mess up my previously defined users?

Rob

>>> Egor Egorov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 03/14/02 12:08PM >>>
Rob,

RQ> I am trying to set up MyODBC on a Win2K box to access MySQL on a Linux machine.  I
am getting an error message that says my host is not allowed to connect.  I then tried
to run a GRANT query
RQ> under the mysql on the Linux machine to create a valid user in the hosts table.

RQ> I am using version 3.22.32 and logged in as root.  When I try to perform a GRANT
statement, I get the error message "ERROR 1045: Access denied for user:
'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)"
RQ> Any ideas why root is not allowed rights?  How do I give root user root access?
Did I set up mysql incorrectly from the start?  The root user seems to be able to do
everything else.

You can use GRANT statement if you set GRANT OPTION for your user. So
it looks like that your mysql user don't have privileges to set
grants.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov