David Ayliffe queried:

> So how (forgive me if this is a simpleton's question), how will UTF-8
> and UCS2 be used?  Can you elaborate a bit.

These are the kinds of questions I would like answers for:

I am expecting that UTF-8 will be stored in CHAR, VARCHAR, TEXT, and BLOB
fields, just as current character encodings are. How about it?

UCS2 and UTF-32 could be stored in BLOBs with no problem, but UCS2
probably won't mix with CHAR very well? Or does MySQL plan some sort of
design work-around to get past the current 8-bittedness? What about TEXT?
Perhaps we should expect WCHAR, WVARCHAR, and WTEXT types for the
UCS2?

Then there is the question of locales -- Will new mechanisms be introduced
to control the Unicode locale, giving the possibility of having a local
locale and an i18n locale? Or will the Unicode locales be added to the
current crop of locales? Or will the Unicode locales be super-imposed on the
current locales, with implicit conversion enforced behind the scenes (which
I hope will not be the case).

And, when Matt Wagner says UCS2, does he mean the current definition of
UCS2, which is equivalent to UTF-16, and includes approximately 21 bits of
encodable space, allowing all the current additions (Unicode 3.1) in the
first extension plane?

Joel Rees
Alps Giken Kansai Systems Develoment
Suita, Osaka