On Tuesday 09 April 2002 11:07 am, Alain Del Giust wrote:
> "if you have a foreign key constraint, that field must be one of the values
> of the referenced column and that column, being an index, is never NULL"
>
> OK so my understanding is that it is impossible with mySQL to do such
> things wich are basic with at least:
> Oracle
> Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere

What are you saying?  If you are saying these databases allow a primary key
column (or a unique key column) to contain a NULL, they are violating SQL92.
By extension, any column that is a foreign key can also not be NULL.

Perhaps you are saying something else.  But if you are saying this, you can
hardly take MySQL to task for properly supporting SQL92 (at least, in this
instance).