Well, I know I'm gonna catch flak for this, but oh well, here goes anyway

I send an off list mail to Alain to ask for some more specific information about what
he is trying to do so that we can find a way to do it.

But this I will say to the whole list...

What is the point of setting up a referential integrity constraint just to exploit it
in the way Alain described?

Given what the manual says about the limitations of these type of constraints (at
least so far) seems to me that it is not desirable to use them.

While I know that NULL is by definition a part of every column (just like in set
theory math where you have the null set is a subset of every set), NULL is not
rendered as an actual entry in any column when looking at the output of any select *
or similar SQL statement.

Clearly NULL is both there and not there at the same time, and it depends greatly on
context which understanding is used for any given command.

>From a very practical standpoint, I think that the output Alain described is
>desirable in over 90% of implementation ideas (and 100% desirable in all of my
>previous implementations)

Standards be what Standards be, but standards can be either changed or ignored,
depending on if it benefits one to do so.

This is especially true when dealing with NULL, heck, some databases don't even
support the NULL concept at all

Rance Hall
308.238.2455
Internal Office Extensions: 2455 or 6655
PC Programmer, The Buckle, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]