Clay,
        I have only been running MySQL on Mac OS 10.1.3 on a PowerBook
G4 for development purposes, but a couple of things occurred to me:

        1.) When the log says "Got error 9 from select" and that error
shows as "Bad file descriptor", I am reminded of the quirkiness that
sometimes happens when applications interface with HFS/HFS+ volumes.
Does your Mac OS X Server have HFS+ volumes, or do you use AIX
filesystem volumes?

        2.) Do any of your queries to the mysql filename reference a
filename, and if so, is the filename part of your $PATH variable, or
does it require a path prefix prepended to the filename?

        I know these are obscure questions, but you have quite an
obscure issue on your hands.  They're mostly a hacker's stab in the
dark.  Best wishes, and we all (particularly those of us dealing with
Mac OS X :^) ) are interested in hearing how you finally figure this
out.  If you have not already visited his site, you might go to Mark
Liyanage's site (http://www.entropy.ch/) and email him to see if he has
anything to offer.

Sincerely,

--