Barry,

Thanks for your input into this problem!

1) That's an interesting point about the HFS+ filesystem -- I've read that a
G4 won't boot unless the startup volume is formatted as HFS+ (so sayeth the
10.1 Server Update "README FIRST.pdf") ... So, just for consistency's sake,
both drives in my server are formatted for HFS+. But, I assume HFS+ is not
the most common filesystem MySQL is installed upon ... So who knows? That
could be an issue.

2) I don't actually actually query an explicit filename reference -- I'm
doing a standard mysql_connect/mysql_pconnect through PHP to a the hostname
of our MySQL server. We have a two-webserver and one MySQL server setup,
with all three machines running identical hardware and OS configurations,
all in the same rack on a 100BaseT network (so there shouldn't be any real
network latency issues) ... But connection is being made over a network, not
to the "localhost".

But, that did get me to thinking about mysql_connect vs mysql_pconnect ...
When I moved all our stuff from FreeBSD boxes to Mac OS X Server, all of our
database calls through PHP were made via mysql_pconnect. I've had some other
oddities (rapid memory consumption by only ONE of the OS X web servers)
which popped up during that move, and I've been experimenting with switching
back to mysql_connect().

Since a socket connection is considered a file descriptor, I wonder if
something funny is going on that causes a persistent connection to "go bad",
thus generating "bad file descriptor" errors?

If that were true, I could switch to using solely mysql_connect() calls,
since I believe that opens a new connection, uses it, and closes it ...
Leaving no real opportunity for that particular connection's file descriptor
to go bad.

??

I'm definitely groping around on this one myself ... It's easy enough to
switch to using only mysql_connect(), and I can do that and see how things
go for awhile ... But it's one of those things where it's a "wait and see
with fingers crossed" remedy.

Barry, Paul, Mark, Erik ... Anyone else ... Opinion on that theory?

Thanks again, folks -- I appreciate the group brainstorm.

-Clay

(PS -- I'd email Marc Liyanage, but I can only imagine how many people are
bugging him already! I'm using his latest binary build at the moment.)

Clay Loveless
Webmaster, Crawlspace
http://www.crawlspace.com/