From: Kevin Queen
To: MySQL List (E-mail)
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 2:03 PM
Subject: Newbie Question

OK, I just finally got MySQL installed and I can't make ANYTHING work.  when
I try to run "mysqladmin -u root -h Death -p password 'somepassword'" I get
an Enter Password prompt, I have never told it a root password and it won't
accept the system root password.  Then if I try to connect to the server
from another machine I get "host <ip_address> is not allowed to connect to
this MySQL server".  Any help on these issues and pointers to
administration/configuration help would be appreciated.  I do have the
manual pdf, but 700+ pages is a lot to read and I can't find these issues in
the manual by searching.

Thanks,
Kevin Q.