You could treate those delimited columsn just like
SET() columns and pass the following query:

SELECT * FROM cats WHERE category LIKE "%christmas%";

Graham Nichols wrote:

    GN: Hi,
    GN:
    GN: I have a table which contains a column 'category'
    GN:
    GN:
    GN: 'category' can be made up as records such as:
    GN:
    GN: christmas|birthday|easter
    GN: easter|thanksgiving
    GN: birthday|christmas|thanksgiving|easter
    GN:
    GN: etc .....
    GN:
    GN: As you can see, items are delimited with a '|' in the fields. If I wish to
    GN: select all records which contain 'christmas', what is the correct sql syntax
    GN: please?
    GN: (This should return records 1 and 3 from the example shown above)
    GN:
    GN: I've tried several approaches, but have failed so far.
    GN:
    GN: Thanks for any pointers.
    GN:
    GN: kind regards,  Graham Nichols
    GN:
    GN:
    GN:
    GN: ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    GN: Before posting, please check:
    GN:    http://www.mysql.com/manual.php   (the manual)
    GN:
    GN: To request this thread, e-mail <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    GN: To unsubscribe, e-mail
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    GN: Trouble unsubscribing? Try: http://lists.mysql.com/php/unsubscribe.php
    GN: