----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Stefanick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "MySQL Support" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 2:55 PM
Subject: setting up two instances of mySQL

> I have one product already using a mySQL database. We just inherited a
> new
> product (via an acquisition) that uses it's own mySQL database which we're
> going to stick on the same server. My manager wants me to setup a second
> instance of mySQL on the machine for the new product's database. I don't
> see the point. Why not just have both databases running under the same
> instance of mySQL?  Which brings me to my question. What are the pros and
> cons of setting up multiple instances of mySQL on the same machine?

I read the reply about the ability to run under two different users. True.
Plus the advantage would be that both administrators of the two products can
each have full root-access to their MySQL server. That, to me, would be the
main pro.

But I cannot help but feel this is like running a separate instance of
qpopper for each individual mailbox. It will shave an additional ~ 13-30 MB
off your resources, and if you only take a few moments to set up the
privilege system properly (removing anonymous users, making sure all users
have passwords, etc), there should really be no concern for security. And be
careful who you give the file privilege to.

Most security holes really stem from an improper grasp of the privilege
system. Like forgetting to specifically revoke privileges for a table when
you delete that table, and not realizing the alter privilege may be used to
subvert the privilege system by renaming tables, etc. But if you took care
of those, I truly see no real security issue. Plus, if you start your server
with the --safe-show-database option, SHOW DATABASES will only return those
databases for which the user has some kind of privilege.

More experienced users may be aware of nifty security holes that I am
unaware of; but under normal circumstances, my preference is to not run a
separate instance for each separate database. YMMV, as they say.

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,