Hi, I don't want to get in the way, but I am experiencing similar issues.  Here's the
problem I'm trying to find a resolution to:

We have one instance of MySQL (it was configured and installed once).  This instance
has
one 'test' 'database', and one 'mysql' 'database'.  The mysql database contains the
grant
tables.

I want to create a few other 'databases'.  One should be used for keeping recipies, for
instance, and the other will contain the data I use for the electronic key card system
use in my house (for instance).  Both databases run under the same 'instance'.

The recipe database is updated frequently, because I am active in a cook's collective
and
we routinely update each other's recipies as we develop more refined ways of making the
dishes.  The key card database is not updated frequently, but is heavily accessed by
several custom-made hardware devices.

One day, a bug in the network protocol I use to connect the card swipe device to the
database causes some of the data in the database to become corrupted in the key card
database.  This happens as I get home late at night after bar hopping, and I don't
discover it until noon.  The corruption involves data that was deleted, so I need to
restore that database to just before midnight, using the full backup I wisely took at
8PM
before going out to the bars, in conjunction with the update log which I have on a
RAID5
device for protection.

The problem is, that if I restore the database from the last cold backup, then apply
the
update log until midnight, I will lose all transactions that occurred against the
recipe
database between midnight and noon the next day!

Oracle and SQL Server allow you to restore databases independently of one another.  I
cannot discern the method to do so in MySQL.  Surely this is a common requirement?  Is
there an easy answer I have overlooked during my evaluation of the restore options?

By the way, the above scenario assumes MyISAM table types.  I understand from other
postings that InnoDB can restrict the options even further.  The obvious solution seems
to be separate MySQL 'instances' for each database you want, so that the transaction
logs
are kept distinct from one another.  If this is the preferred solution, I would be
interested to hear how some production environments have been set up.

Thanks!
Josh Horton