Hi!

Jeremy> On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 05:25:59PM -0700, Steven Roussey wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have MySQL 3.23.47 running on our sever. I skipped 48 through 50 and
>> tried 51. No dice. It does not handle load, CPU and the load average go
>> through the roof. I'm using Red Hat Linux 7.2 and the official mysql
>> binaries. It appears to be slow to connect, causing 0.5 to 1.0 second
>> delay on connection. Using persistent connections from PHP does not make
>> much of a difference. I thought it might be the hostname lookup changes
>> so I chose skip-grant-tables. This doesn't actually skip the hostname
>> lookup though and had no effect.
>>
>> Most queries are shorter than 1 second so this problem causes
>> catastrophic problems by making queries last a multiple times longer,
>> which make the number of concurrent queries jump exponentially. This is
>> a bad thing. And sadly makes 3.23.51 unusable.
>>
>> Does anyone else note these types of issues?

Jeremy> As another data point for you, I've got 3.23.51 running on our master
Jeremy> quite well.  The difference is that I built it from source (to get a
Jeremy> critical InnoDB patch).  I don't recall which compiler the MySQL folks
Jeremy> used (and which glibc), but my source build used Debian Woody's gcc
Jeremy> 2.95.4.

We are using gcc 2.95.3 and a patched glibc, the later one that we
used in many builds before.

This is the first email I got that 3.23.51 would be slow.

Steven, could you try to run the MySQL benchmark suite on your machine
and post me the results ?

cd sql-bench
perl run-all-tests --log

The file I am interested in is the summary file named 'output/RUN-*'

Regards,
Monty