On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 11:11:34AM +0200, Bart Burkhardt wrote:
> hello list,
>
> i think it would be better to have a mysql news server instead of this email
> list. i will name some reasons that i think of, correct me if i am wrong..
>
> - with a newsgroup you only select the messages that you want to read or
> where you can give an answer on.

You can only 'select' the message once you have knowledge about
what's in the headers.

> - with this email list my mailbox fills with too many single messages,
> replys are not threaded (no plus sign to expand thread)

I'm using a MUA called 'mutt' that _does_ support message threads.
Email and news messages use the same header information to encode
that.

> - when i go on vacation, and return, i would have a mailbox that is flooded
> causing that my other messages could not be delivered.
>
> - using a newsgroup server is less waste of cyberspace because it is
> centrally located

Not really; a single message is relentlessly copied to thousands
of hosts all over the world.

> - a mysql newsserver could seperate different subjects like; installation /
> advanced query / communication / bugreport / announcements / ideas /
> platform sections..
>
> -  there are probably more reasons to setup a newsserver

Having configured private email and news servers before:

- Regardless of one's editorial decision to differentiate lists/groups,
  people will cross-post, or otherwise not post appropriately, and,
  without facist moderation, the lists/groups will essentially blur
  into one.

- As I mentioned above, there is no distinction between an email
  message and a news message WRT to threading; just get a client
  that supports the feature.

- If you're interested in a private news server (one wherein the
  groups aren't part of Usenet), then perhaps the only 'feature' you
  gain is from your news client saying 'get me messages newer than
  such-and-such a date'.

  It's often easier to read an on-line archive of the list via a
  web browser; if nothing else, most graphical browsers present
  'new' (uncached) links in a different color than ones that are
  previously viewed...

But I concede the usefulness of a mailing list digest.

> Bart

Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert            <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
37 Crystal Ave. #303                    Daytime number: (603) 434-6842
Derry NH 03038-1713 USA                 Intel architecture: the left-hand path