Lo Michael,

I digged a bit more, and while running under debug mode, MySQL doesnt crash,
it does complain about a bad file descriptor on /etc/hosts.allow.

If this is the cause of the failure, there might be a possibly bug in the
code, because I really think it's arb that the entire MySQL needs to bail
because it can't open a file...  Here's the relavent messages from syslog,

Aug 18 16:03:29 netsonic mysqld[15158]: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 23:
can't get client address: Bad file descriptor
Aug 18 16:03:30 netsonic mysqld[15158]: warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 23:
can't get client address: Bad file descriptor

When I run without debug, I think this is what *may* be causing the crash,
whilst when running under debug mode, MySQL obviously has some sort of
protection so that it sends out only a warning instead of crashing....

> Chris> I've recompiled the master about three times now, and it still
crashed.
> Chris> Eventually, it came to such a extend that the moment I open port
3306 MySQL
> Chris> would crash.  I can just use telnet <ip> 3306, or open a netcat on
port
> Chris> 3306, and MySQL would die.
>
> Can you try to configure MYSQL with CFLAGS=-g and run the server under
> gdb.
>
> If we could get a full back trace where it fails, it could help us
> find out what's wrong.

I tried.  Now, when I recompiled it again without debug support, it doesn't
crash for some reason.  At least not for now....  The below log is issued to
syslog at every connection however.
  Aug 18 17:03:53 netsonic mysqld[47947]: warning: can't get client address:
Bad file descriptor

I'll keep my eyes on it like a hawk.  First crash I get, it's back to gdb we
go... It looks to me as if it may be tcpwrappers that's busted however...
:-(

> Chris> So far, the only way I found to keep the FreeBSD Port up, was to
recompile
> Chris> it with debug support.  I so far have 90 minutes uptime on the
Master with
> Chris> debug support compiled in, but it's needless to say not really the
desired
> Chris> result.
>
> How did you configure MySQL in this case ?

Altered the Makefile in the ports, compiled / installed, and did a cvsup to
sync the ports again... MySQL compiles per default with CFLAGS=-g from the
ports, I just need had to recompile it again now, so that I could remove the
debug support and let MySQL actually crash again :P

--
me