> ...or you have too many open files in the system.You reach the max. number
> of files which can be opened by the OS.Try to increase file-max from
> /proc/sys/fs.

Highly doubtful.  It's a brand new server installation, exactly the same as
all my others, and it's not doing half as much as the others are....

The box runs mysql, apache, and exim...  With less than 50 processes running
at any given time...

It's FreeBSD as well btw, /proc/fs/ doesn't exist :P

-SNIP-
DESCRIPTION
     The fstat utility identifies open files.  A file is considered open by
     process if it was explicitly opened, is the working directory, root
     directory, active executable text, or kernel trace file for that
process.
     If no options are specified, fstat reports on all open files in the
sys-
     tem.
-SNIP-

749 open files reported... Far less than the maximum.

--
me