Hello,

Some basic points about these problems:
1) have you another application/mysqld listening on the same tcp port?
2) have you tried different versions (switching between 3.23 and 4.x
series, for example)
3) try compiling from the source with a bit different configuration
parameters
4) do your connections drop if you're connecting from the localhost? How
about from other hosts? How about connecting with other clients?

Just don't give up. I've never seen a MySQL-related problem that nobody
has been able to solve. I don't believe this isn't about anything big. And
probably there are lots of more people active on this list next week,
somebody of them might be able to solve your problem. :-)

Regards,
Iikka

* Iikka Meriläinen                       *
* E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
* Vaala, Finland                         *