Subject: Re: New to MySQL
From: Benjamin Pflugmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 ===
Hello.

On Sun 2002-08-25 at 02:36:35 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Recently I have been approached to do a web based reservations database
> for hotels.  I am thinking highly of using MySQL on Linux(?) with
> Apache.  I have used Informix SE on SCO Unix for years (due to the
> previous platform) and would like to ask you all a few questions I have
> not been able to answer myself after a day on the web.
>
> 1.  What is InnoDB?

InnoDB is a table type for MySQL. ISAM (obsolete), MyISAM and BDB are
other table types currently implemented. A table type determines (some
of) the attributes of a table, i.e. how it is physically stored, which
features it offers and so on. E.g. Transactions are only supported
with InnoDB and BDB, but neither with ISAM or MyISAM.

That said, as long you are not sure what you need, don't care. Simply
go with MyISAM tables which are the default, until you learn that your
needs differ: It is a one-liner to change the table type (ALTER TABLE)
at any time, so there is no reason to decide early.

> 2. Are their direct API's for Apache and MySQL and how reliable are
> they?

I am not sure, if I understand you correctly. If you mean if there is
some build-in server-side (Apache) language, which you can use to
query the database and create dynamic pages, the answer is No, because
that goes against the design concept of Apache. It is an web-server,
not a do-it-all.

That said, Apache offers the facility to plug in Modules for tasks,
and there are some modules readily available for this: The best-known
is probably PHP, and I suggest to go with it, if you do not know
better. There are also modules for e.g. Perl, Python and so on.

If you meant something different, please elaborate.

Regards,

        Benjamin.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]