On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 05:45:07PM -0400, Will French wrote:
> When will 4.0.x finally be released to beta?
>
> The facts as I understand them:
> - 4.0 went alpha in Nov or Dec of '01
> - At the time, Monty and his gang projected stabilization by Jan or Feb
> - More than 6 months have passed since and the product is not yet stabilized
> - No meaningful information has been released about what a more realistic
> date might be

Meaningful?  You must have not read the responses others have posted.
Mark and others have posted "meaningful" responses.

> - Anytime anyone dares to stick their head up and inquire about this issue,
> they get their hat handed to them with a glib "when its ready" response

You got the truth.  Would you prefer someone lie to you about it?

It's simply the case that they won't declare the code stable until it
is stable.  That means people have to use it and not find any bugs.
The more people who test it, the sooner the bugs are found.

We've been running 4.0.x on some of our servers to try and track down
the remaining bugs.  We found a few.  They've been fixed.  We're *that
much* closer to having a "stable" MySQL 4.0.x now.

Based on the reports I've seen to the bugs list, there aren't a lot of
outstanding issues.  But until 4.0.3-beta gets in wide circulation,
it'll probably be hard to say.

> It is impossible for me to believe that I am the only one frustrated
> by this.

Based on the number of people asking, you're not.

> It is not my intention to put the MySQL team on the defensive about
> this -- I know they are working incredibly hard.  I do not, however,
> feel it is unreasonable for the user community to ask for more
> information about upcoming releases.

What more information would be helpful, exactly?  Do guesses really
help?  (Maybe they do, but I don't see how.  Unless you know that the
person guessing is really good at it...)

> I know that you are probably thinking that I don't have the right to
> be demanding when the software is free.  Well guess what, it isn't!

Not if you're a paying MySQL AB customer.

> Every company that uses MySQL spends money on it (remember,
> licensing represents only a small fraction of total cost of
> ownership).

But that money isn't paid *to* MySQL AB, so how is that relevant?

> Furthermore, MySQL AB is a for-profit venture whose fortunes are
> tied to the continued spread and use of their flagship open-source
> product.

Certainly.

> NOTE: The information in this email is confidential and may be
> legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must
> not read, use or disseminate the information.

But you fail to tell someone how to know if they're the intended
recipient, don't you?

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 3.23.51: up 21 days, processed 433,722,272 queries (232/sec. avg)