I have to agree here.    If one doesn't know the schema and has to figure
out how to locate keys in related tables, then one's not paying too much
attention to the constructs of the data set.  Lets not forget joins, eh?

What network traffic?  The list of tables?  How much traffic is there in a
query/result set when finding a key? The table structures?  We're not
talking about MB's of keys.  We're talking about a couple KB's even on a
very large data set.  HTTP requests to the intranet server for each little
graphic file will generates more chat than you'll generate with your query.
 The query is sent to the machine running dbms and it returns a result set.
 This isn't like you're using Microsoft Access or DBase/Foxpro where the
query is executed by the client against a remote file forcing all that data
to be transferred back and forth using a chatty protocol like NetBIOS over
IP. Even though you haven't installed NetBIOS on your Win2K/XP/9n/ME box,
its still there (NetBIOS over TCP/IP) and is the primary method of
connection(less) between Windows machines.  Even the MySQL ODBC connector
uses pure TCP/IP on port 3306

non secure network?   SSH is your friend.

Curtis Maurand
Maine Line Systems

> That's only if you access it directly from client.
>
> What I was talking about is AppServer sitting next to MySQL
> server. Preferably on the same computer.
> Agree that for some cascade actions triggers are very useful.
>
> But most of the folks just try to push all business logic
> into sp/triggers.
> And that's better to do in AppServer for large-scale apps.

So it's strange when the initial poster said that they are