Moestl,
Monday, September 23, 2002, 9:49:14 AM, you wrote:

MW> Is there a defined behaviour for handling the case-sensitivety for user- and
hostnames?
MW> I did not find any information on this at the docs for the 4.0.3 MAX version which
I'm using.

MW> For example, the following database connections are valid:
MW> root@localhost
MW> Root@localhost

MW> However, the following connection is resulting in an "Connection failed: 1045 -
Accss denied for user: ..." error:
MW> ROOT@localhost
MW> ROot@localhost

MW> It looks like the host parameter is completely insensitive for cases, every
combination of upper- and lowercase characters it taken.

[user]@[host] are BOTH FULLY case-sensitive.
MW> Only the exact values as beeing stored at the mysql system tables are taken.

MW> The following statements does return values:
MW> SHOW GRANTS FOR root@localhost

MW> The following statements will NOT return values:
MW> SHOW GRANTS for Root@localhost
MW> SHOW GRANTS for root@Localhost

MW> Personnaly I think the same case-sensitivety behaviour should be implemented in
every aspect of the database functionallity.
MW> If connecting as Root@LOCalhOST works a SHOW GRANTS FOR Root@LOCalhOST should work
as well.

What OS do you use? I tested your examples on 4.0.3-max on Win and
RedHat and all worked well. I got "Access denied" error in any case
except root@localhost when I try to connect and SHOW GRANTS also
worked as well:

mysql> show grants for 'Root'@'localhost';
ERROR 1141: There is no such grant defined for user 'Root' on host 'localhost'
mysql> show grants for 'root'@'Localhost';
ERROR 1141: There is no such grant defined for user 'root' on host 'Localhost'

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com