>From: "Moestl, Wolfgang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Is there a defined behaviour for handling the case-sensitivety for user- and
>hostnames?

According to the specification for the Domain Name System (DNS), Internet hostnames
are always supposed to be case-insensitive.

Since other entities in MySQL are case-sensitive, this may seem inconsistent, but it
is imposed by international standards. It is NOT under the control of MySQL.

>To get it even more confusing, the values for user and host at the SHOW GRANTS FOR
>[user]@[host] are BOTH FULLY case-sensitive.

If verified, this is a bug. DNS-based hostnames should NEVER be case-sensitive.

The fact that you observed this using the "magic" hostname "localhost" may indicate
that MySQL is "cheating" by doing its own management of this unique name. Any other
fully qualified domain name should go through your operating system's address
resolver, and had better be case-insensitive!

On UNIX and clones: "nslookup localhost" "nslookup Localhost" and "nslookup LoCaLhOsT"
all answer the same IP.

If case-insensitivity with "localhost" is important, you might just map some other
name to your machine and use that instead. This is also a good policy in case you
later want to move your database to its own machine. For example, I have "data"
defined as a CNAME in DNS for the machine I'd normally refer to as "localhost." It
seems to work -- as it should -- if I call it "data", "Data", "dATA", etc.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature photography: <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: Join the forums at <http://www.Bytesmiths.com/wiki>