At 16:43 -0700 9/23/02, Jan Steinman wrote:
>  >From: "Moestl, Wolfgang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>>Is there a defined behaviour for handling the case-sensitivety for
>>user- and hostnames?
>
>According to the specification for the Domain Name System (DNS),
>Internet hostnames are always supposed to be case-insensitive.
>
>Since other entities in MySQL are case-sensitive, this may seem
>inconsistent, but it is imposed by international standards. It is
>NOT under the control of MySQL.
>
>>To get it even more confusing, the values for user and host at the
>>SHOW GRANTS FOR [user]@[host] are BOTH FULLY case-sensitive.
>
>If verified, this is a bug. DNS-based hostnames should NEVER be
>case-sensitive.

MySQL behaves like this:

Usernames, passwords, and database and table names are case sensitive in
grant table entries.

Hostnames and column names are not.

>The fact that you observed this using the "magic" hostname
>"localhost" may indicate that MySQL is "cheating" by doing its own
>management of this unique name. Any other fully qualified domain
>name should go through your operating system's address resolver, and
>had better be case-insensitive!

"localhost" is indeed interpreted specially in MySQL.  On UNIX, it means
"connect using the UNIX domain socket rather than TCP/IP".  So in this
case, DNS is not involved.

In any case, I do not observe a difference between setting up
user accounts using host 'localhost' versus 'LOCALHOST'.

I *do* observe case sensitive hostname behavior for SHOW GRANTS.
This should not be.  I'll ask about it.