Pascale Lunal wrote:
> Oops: sorry if this message appears twice but my connection broke down
> just when I clicked 'send'.
>
> Hello,
>
> I am currently writing a search query in PHP to:
>
> 1. search in MySQL database (not in one table but in all the tables of
> the whole database),
>
> 2. search when more than one searchterm is entered (it works for 1
> search term but not for more).
>
> My questions related to the above two points are:
>
> 1. How do I modify the following line (basically how to change "mytable"
> to "allmytable") so that all the tables are searched (each table has
> exactly the same structure) wihtout having to type every single table
> name (since I have 50 of them !) ?
>
> $query = "SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE columnname LIKE '%$searchterm%'";

Since all your tables have the same structure, you can create a "merge
table" and run your select on it.

> 2. The search is performed by typing the word to be searched. This works
> for 1 word but not if I enter more than 1 term. How can I make a
> multiple word search ?

You should split your $searchterm in multiple words and build a query
that looks like:
SELECT * FROM mytable WHERE columnname LIKE '%$word1%' AND columnname
LIKE '%$word2%'...
(Sorry for not beeing more specific but it is a PHP, not MySQL, problem
and I have no experience in PHP).

> Any help, example scripts, tutorials would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pascale

Regards
--