I found a solution!!! ***Replace all backlashes with two backslashes.***
(The hex value of the backslash is 0x5c, see Joel Rees' previous emails
for an explanation on how multibyte Japanese characters contain the hex
value 0x5c and that MySQL uses that value as an escape character.)

VBscript used prior to submitting data to database:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   szJapaneseText = replace(szJapaneseText, "\","\\")

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pulling from the database and displaying to a web page requires no
additional processing. Simply display.

Thank you so much for all your time and effort reading and responding to
my emails.
Joel Rees - You insisted it was 0x5c from the beginning. I was so slow
to understand because of everyone's talk of UTF-8, was it Word, was it
my content tool, is MySQL capable of storing multiple charsets per
database, etc. Thank you immensely for your patience and all your help.
Gerald Clark - It was your simple, brief message that made me think, "Is
it that simple?" It is.
Michael Babcock, Shashank Tripathi, Jon Frisby, Brian Duke, kayamboo,
Kirk Samuelson - Thank you for just being there and responding with hope
that there is a solution - without which I would not have persisted on.

I know this is all so sappy, but this was the most lengthy, most
frusterating, and hopeless problem solving event of my life. I am glad
it is over (and now maybe I'll get paid). The most unsurprising thing is
that it was so simple: one line of code.

Sincerely,
Dawn Friedland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]