Joel Rees wrote:

>Shift-JIS is a real pain in the neck to parse. When you look at a byte,
>it's often impossible to tell whether you're looking at the first byte
>or the second byte of the character.

Can I make a minor recommendation that doesn't help your current
situation at all?

Use UTF-8.  You can _know_ which bytes are the first or middle bytes of
a byte stream and in Japanese, its always three bytes per character
(even though as an encoding, its variable length).  Its also sortable;
but I haven't tried UTF-8 encoding in MySQL (nor do I know if it is
actually supported).

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.