Kirk Samuelson wrote:
> I've read lots of similar posts in the archives at
> <http://lists.mysql.com/>. Many suggestions to use a BLOB
> instead of a
> text field. But MySQL supports double-byte languages. Why not use an
> encoding it supports (SJIS or UJIS for Japanese) instead of this
> kludge? If I compile MySQL to support UJIS with  --with-charset=sjis
> won't text fields then store ujis encoded text properly? I'd like to
> use Unicode too but if it's not supported yet...

The idea is to be able to store Latin and Japanese in the same database
(as well as Chinese & Korean). Isn't that supported by MySQL? People on
this list say they've done it successfully.

If I compile MySQL using --with-charset=sjis , how will it handle the
Latin, Chinese, and Korean characters?

Dawn