> HI all
>     I'm trying to do the following
>
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> # want to select (just preparing) every thing from the table PERSON
> where i don't know the deptID yet.
> $per = $dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM person WHERE deptID = ?");
>
> # selecting deptID from the table ACCOUNT, say  with some condition
> $acc = $dbh->prepare("SELECT deptID FROM account WHERE ....;
>
> $acc->execute()
>         or die "Can't execute the SQL statment: $DBI::errstr\n";
>
> while ( @accRow = $acc->fetchrow_array ) {
> # For each deptID I get from the ACCOUNT table, I want all the info from
> the PERSON table
>         $per->execute($accRow[0] )
>                         or die "Can't execute the SQL statment:
> $DBI::errstr\n";

The statements above are all part of a subroutine, and not meant to be
executed as individual commands. Here's what is on the page you
referenced:

sub age_by_id
{
# Arguments: database handle, person ID number
my ($dbh, $id) = @_;
my $sth = $dbh->prepare('SELECT age FROM people WHERE id = ?')
or die "Couldn't prepare statement: " . $dbh->errstr;
$sth->execute($id)
or die "Couldn't execute statement: " . $sth->errstr;
my ($age) = $sth->fetchrow_array();
return $age;
}

You have to pass this subroutine 2 arguments when you execute it: $dbh
and $id before it will work.
--
/* All outgoing email scanned by Norton Antivirus 2002 */
Amer Neely, Softouch Information Services