Greetings...

In windows, in general the settings are done by default so that you can
start it with the default case.

To start the server go to the bin directory and just enter mysqld. I dont
think you need to enter --standalone or something like that. By default a
root user is created with 'root' password or it is blank ( i dont remember
exactly ).

When you start mysqld....it wont close the command prompt...it will be just
there showing you the information of the process. Either you can close the
command window by clicking on the X or you can just keep it there.

In another command window, goto the bin directory and start with
mysql -hlocalhost -uroot -p

If the password is root then type root as password or press Enter if its
blank. After you get connected you can start executing querties.

If you are adverse to command line then try using SQLyog, its a GUI to MySQL
for Windows. http://www.sqlyog.com

Insane
SQLyog - The Definative MySQL GUI for MySQL
http://www.sqlyog.com