At 15:16 19/10/2002 +0100, Nikki Mason wrote:
Hi,
Hi,

I wish to learn SQL, and as some of my friends already use MySQL, they
recommended that I too use it.  Please can you tell me what I need to
download and install to get me going.

I have:
Pentium III 450Mhz, 256Mb Ram
Windows 98
I don't have a C or C++ compiler installed.
My PC is not connected to a network - it is standalone.

I had earlier downloaded just the zip file for version 4.0.4-beta (Windows).
I unzipped it and ran the 'setup' program.

Once setup had completed I tried the test on the server - at no point had I
run the Admin program or created the my.cnf or my.ini.

I opened a dos window and from the directory c:\mysql\bin entered:
mysqld --standalone

No other text was shown in the dos window and it appeared to hang.  The
whole computer also seemed to 'hang'.  I had to use ctrl C to kill the
application and get back normal operation to my PC.
Why you had killed the mysqld server ?. The mysqld.exe is a console
application that when started with --standalone option it works in
the background.

If you want to see the console screen then issue:

C:\mysql\bin>mysqld-opt --standalone --console
021019 17:25:31  InnoDB: Started
mysqld-opt: ready for connections

and for to work with the mysql client:

C:\>c:\mysql\bin\mysql -uroot -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 3.23.53-max

mysql>

after a fresh installation left the root password blank.

for to shutdown the server:

C:\>c:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin shutdown

021019 17:27:27  mysqld-opt: Normal shutdown

021019 17:27:27  InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
021019 17:27:29  InnoDB: Shutdown completed
021019 17:27:29  mysqld-opt: Shutdown Complete

I then tried manually creating the file c:\my.cnf and populated with the
information given in the installation instructions.  The server still hung.

I then tried using the admin program with the similar results - the green
traffic light was showing, but the dos window that was displayed appeared
'hung' and again the PC itself seemed to have hung - it  operated extremely
slowly.  The task manager showed the admin tool as 'not responding'.

What have I/am I doing wrong?
--
Regards,