Steven Nakhla wrote:

I recently installed Red Hat 7.3 on a box, and have
been having difficulty connecting to my MySQL server.
I can connect locally.  That is, on the same machine
as the server.  However, if I try and connect from a
remote machine with the following command:

mysql -h  -p

I get the following error message:

ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during
query

I've poked around on the net and in the documentation,
but I can't find anything that explains this.  Aside
from creating a database and using the GRANT ALL
command on it to setup privileges, I haven't mucked
with the configuration at all.  I've tried
reinstalling the RPMs for MySQL and still no luck.
Any idea what could be causing this?  How can I fix
it?  Thanks!!!

Steve Nakhla
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is a known problem with RedHat and the latest GLIBC that they pushed out via up2date. It breaks remote access to MySQL (amongst other bad things).

If you're running on Linux, your best bet (always) is to use MySQL's binaries, as they're compiled statically, so it doesn't matter what breaks on your system with respect to GLIBC, MySQL should still work.

The latest binaries (in RPM) are 3.23.53a, which can be downloaded from http://www.mysql.com/

-Mark

--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mmma

/ |/ /_ __/ __/ __ \/ / Mark Matthews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
/ /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ MySQL AB, Full-Time Developer - JDBC/Java
/_/ /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ Flossmoor (Chicago), IL USA
<___/ www.mysql.com