Greetings,

I have what I hope is an easy problem.  I have installed mysql 4.0.20
and when I execute mysqladmin to set the root password using the -h flag
my hostname is truncated, and I get a connection refused message.

The hostname on this box is a fqdn like blah.1.2.3.net.  My command line
is "mysqladmin -u root -h blah.1.2.3.net password 'test'"

mysqladmin -u root -h blah.1.2.3.net password "test"
/path/to/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'blah.1.2.3.net'
failed
error: 'Host 'blah' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'

Can anyone shed any light on why the hostname is being truncated?  Am I
missing something obvious here?

Thank you in advance,

Andrew