What are the possible causes for this error message ?

This problem occured right after I restarted mysqld on my machine. I can
access mysql on localhost without any failure, either in command mode,
telnet or via httpd with PHP, but connection via PHP on remote machine
fails.

Here's what I see if I try to telnet, seams like the service is simply
dropping the connection.

[root@intranet CAMusage]# telnet 10.0.6.2 3306
Trying 10.0.6.2...
Connected to 10.0.6.2.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.

Here's what I see in mysqld.log :

Number of processes running now: 1
mysqld process hanging, pid 30546 - killed
021029 16:46:23  mysqld restarted
/usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

... and in queries.log :

/usr/libexec/mysqld, Version: 3.23.41-log, started with:
Tcp port: 3306  Unix socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
Time                 Id Command    Argument

Any help would be very appreciate.

BTW, I run mysql-3.23.41

Thanks a bunch.

Frederic Trudeau