On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 02:34:44PM -0800, heath boutwell wrote:
> --- Jeremy Zawodny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've read others who've said it fixed the problem
> > for them.  Did you
> > check the archives?
>
> Jeremy,
>
> Thanks for mytop.  Its a great tool and its been a great help in
> diagnosing our problems.

Excellent.  Good to hear.

> I saw where a few of the others claimed the latest binaries resolved
> the issues.  Its not clear whether their problem was the same others
> were experiencing (those whose probs were corrected w/ .53a were
> complaining of 'out of sync' errors which seems different than the
> type of CPU throttling myself and others have observed).

I read of folks who had used earlier binaries and couldn't handle any
significanly workloads.  Their load average would go through the roof
and threads would all seem to lockup on the server.

> Anything over 50 queries a second for even a short time brought the
> cpu to its knees.  Mysqld processes were eating up all the cpu and
> the server becomes practically non-responsive.
>
> With the older binaries, we avgd 20 queries second with bursts up to
> 200-300 with no problem.  The load average stayed around .50 or so
> and went to around 3 under heaviest load conditions.
>
> With the latest binary (installed under thus far lower usage) we are
> seing 13 queries a second but the load average stays at 1.3 which is
> not a good sign.  It looks like we will see a meltdown under even
> moderate load conditions.
>
> The weekends our the heaviest times for us and I will keep the list
> posted on what happens as I know there were many others that
> struggled with this over the past year and found no resolution other
> than downgrading to ancient versions of the binaries.

Well, "load average" can be misleading.

Can you maybe share the output of "vmstat 1" or "vmstat 5" for a
minute's worth of time?  It's be good to see what the CPUs states look
like.  It is a lot of system time?  User time?  Both?

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 3.23.51: up 84 days, processed 1,766,760,219 queries (241/sec. avg)