joseph,

js> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 11:56:01AM +0200, Egor Egorov wrote:
>> Marco,
>> Tuesday, October 29, 2002, 7:22:44 AM, you wrote:
>>
>> MB> I need your expert and slow guided assistance.
>>
>> MB> I would some one to teach me how to do for that user
>> MB> and allow him/website to have access to that database and that database
>> MB> alone, having complete control over it.
>>
>> MB> Using the example I have given you please teach me how to do so in detail?.
>> MB> I look forward to be taken a novice, As I have gone through the docs online.
>> MB> and it was not a great teacher!.
>>
>> Online manual contains enough info about your question :)
>> Read about GRANT:
>>      http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/GRANT.html
>>
>> It's easy to set permissions using GRANT. if you want to give all
>> rights on the certain database you can do it like

js> I really had a question about this for a few weeks now:
>> GRANT ALL ON database_name.* TO 'user_name'@'host_name' IDENTIFIED BY
>> 'user_password';
js> I had to issue a command just like that to allow php vbulletin program to access
its database.  Of course, the vbulletin software took it from there managing its own
users, all that, so many
js> tables .... well, to allow the vbulletin program to access that database I tried
making a connection to the database by adding him to user table insert into mysql.user
(host,user,password) values
js> (localhost,user,password('pass'); and
js> then granting specific rights on that one db with
js> MY QUESTION IS !!

js>  GRANT ALL ON database_name.* TO 'user_name'@'host_name' IDENTIFIED BY
js>   'user_password';

js> changes nothing in tables_priv, or in db table, why is it different from making
every column in db table = Y ?

js> I know it's a solved problem, but I'm an academic!!!

Joseph, GRANT is easy to  use and more recommended than direct editing of
privilege tables.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
       <___/   www.mysql.com