Note also there are methods to control loads under MySql.
You can use limits from the environment shell to
keep the load averages down.

People may say this is not in good form, or style,
but it works for me.

There are several methods you can use within the my.cnf
to streamline the MySql server performance.
set-variable    = key_buffer=16K
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=1M
set-variable    = thread_stack=64K
set-variable    = table_cache=4
set-variable    = sort_buffer=64K
set-variable    = net_buffer_length=2K

If tweaking those doesn't seem to help then limit the shell
that MySql is running in.

shell>ulimit=4096
shell>export ulimit
shell>mysqld restart

There are many methods along these lines, so please research it.

Also , perhaps the loads are a function of the sql query. You might
be able to use a Perl wrapper, and get your loads down. I do this by
using sleep within the Perl program.

Perform query.
sleep 10;
perform query.