I am thinking of a move from a Windows network to Red Hat Linux at my work. I
am happy with OpenOffice for spreadsheets, word  processing etc but the main
problem is replacing MSAccess.

MySQL provides a replacement for the database component but that still leaves:

A programming environment;
A database maintenance utility;
A database query tool;
A report builder

Some of our users have had MSAccess training and are quite proficient in
producing simple but usable applications involving:

The creation of a database and tables;
Forms to populate the database;
Queries and reports to display the data.

All this in a graphical interface without needing to know SQL or doing any
serious programming. They would need to be able to continue doing this in the
new Linux environment - is there a suitable "Forms" utility?

We also have some "serious" applications written in MSAccess by outside
professional programmers. This was partly done to allow the simpler changes
(eg reports and screen layouts) to be made by the advanced users in order to
reduce costs and delays. I would assume that a "Forms" utility would not
provide enough features to be used here. Does this mean that development has
to be done in the opensource equivalent of "VB" which may shut out the
advanced users from making changes?

Regards,
Brad