Brad wrote:

I am thinking of a move from a Windows network to Red Hat Linux at my work. I am happy with OpenOffice for spreadsheets, word processing etc but the main problem is replacing MSAccess.
MySQL provides a replacement for the database component but that still leaves:
A programming environment;
A database maintenance utility;
A database query tool;
A report builder

Some of our users have had MSAccess training and are quite proficient in producing simple but usable applications involving:

The creation of a database and tables; Forms to populate the database; Queries and reports to display the data.
All this in a graphical interface without needing to know SQL or doing any serious programming. They would need to be able to continue doing this in the new Linux environment - is there a suitable "Forms" utility?

We also have some "serious" applications written in MSAccess by outside professional programmers. This was partly done to allow the simpler changes (eg reports and screen layouts) to be made by the advanced users in order to reduce costs and delays. I would assume that a "Forms" utility would not provide enough features to be used here. Does this mean that development has to be done in the opensource equivalent of "VB" which may shut out the advanced users from making changes?

Regards,
Brad

We can both search together then :)
I bought Kylix 1 and was extremely disappointed with it. Don't bother with that one...
I considered using VB under wine but that isn't really a 'pure' solution that I can be proud of.
I'm now looking into using Python. I installed boa-constructer (a Python IDE) last night. It looks interesting, but I don't think it's really geared towards database type stuff. I am also considering buying Rekall by TheKompany:
http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/
It combines Python and database aware stuff, but the currently only support very old MySQL client libraries and I haven't been able to get a demo version working on my box, so I'm not really sure. TheKompany have some interesting stuff though...
Anyone got anything to add to this?

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer