John Coder wrote:

right, let me know so I can breath a sigh of relief. And if the
structure is right, could someone offer some guidance on how a query
that allows me to query new_req using the intersecting entity (or
three-way join, whatever it's called) would be written.

That looks right to me, fwiw; now have your hand at some SELECTs off it and see how it performs. Don't forget to UNIQUE index (or primary) the pair of values in your intersection table if you don't have repeats of pairs (which you probably don't) and that its ok to add additional information to that table if that information relates to the particular pair in question ...

Customers (id, name), PhoneNumbers (id, number), CustomerPhoneNumbers (customerid, phonenumberid, type {fax/phone}, contact {ask for who?}) ...

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.