Hello guys!
Would you please somebody clarify my replication problem?

I have master with
mysqld_safe ...stuff... \
        --log-bin=master-binlog \
        -O binlog_cache_size=102400 \
        --server-id=91 \

And slave with
mysqld_safe ...stuff... \
        --master-host=<ip-addr here> \
        --master-user=mylogin \
        --master-password=mypwd \
        --master-port=3306 \
        --server-id=88 \
        --master-connect-retry=60 \

And In fact that's ok that master logs everything, I'm planning to
deploy a mirror later. But for *this* slave I want to replicate only 4
tables. Otherwise it'd add a lot of fast updated tables, lot of disk
moves that I want to keep at minimum on this slave - because it handles
the raw data tables that should be very fast (counter).

OK, the scheme I typed above works, it replicates all the stuff. Now I'm
adding these lines to slave options:
        --replicate-do-table=ranks.counter_configs \
        --replicate-do-table=ranks.counter_webmasters \
        --replicate-do-table=ranks.counter_sitegroups \
        --replicate-do-table=ranks.counter_categories \

and after that replication doesn't work for these tables. Yes, I tried
".my.cnf" too with the same lines except double dashes and [mysqld]
header. Same result - no replication.

I'm using 4.0.3 Linux bindist on both sides. What else? Correct info in
SHOW SLAVE STATUS, nothing in error log except:
021110 13:16:43  mysqld started
/host/mysql/bin/mysqld: ready for connections
021110 13:16:43  Slave I/O thread: connected to master
'mylogin@myip:3306',  replication started in log 'master-binlog.001' at
position 933

And replication... well, it kinda works, I see that voy88-relay-bin.001
grows - but it does not change my tables. So, I'm assuming that it does
not understand replicate-do-table rules.

I'm updating my master with this line
mysql -e"update ranks.counter_sitegroups set language='french' where
site_group_id=22"
or
mysql -e"use ranks; update counter_sitegroups set language='french'
where site_group_id=22"
changing languages

And in the first case, without replicate-do-table I immediatelly see
that slave tables are updated fine. But not with replicate-do-table
rules.

Total replication without table selection is a very poor option in my
case - it'd give the slave all that job that I'm trying to free it of.

Would be happy to get any hint.

BTW - it seems very strange to me that binlog-do-db and all others of
this kind are defined as "Tells the master that it should log updates to
the binary log if the current database is database_name". What's the use
in the current base? I'm starting all my perl in the same "current base"
using few bases with base.table syntax. So, it'd be very helpfull if
binlog-do-db would mean "copy only tables from this base". This would
give a fine option to group all tables that I need to replicate in the
separate base and replicate them with just one sentence:
   --binlog-do-db=mybase

As I have lots of the perl code and always define tables in some config
like
  $INI::webmaster_table_name = "counter_webmasters";
(sorry for the OT perl here but it's pretty obvious)

- it makes quite impossible to change the current base many times -
this'd ruin all ini-vars.
"Current base" is kinda useless concept here, no?

Thanks!