On 11/10/02 1:50 PM, "Allan J Horwitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi there -- I'm relatively new to LINUX (I have RedHat 8.0 on my system)
> and I just downloaded MySQL-GUI and can't seem to get it working.  It
> keeps telling me that it cannot connect through the socket (111).  Can
> someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I tried to set the path using a
> shell program in /etc/profile.d/mysqlgui.sh and I even exported the
> value of PATH.  At present, my version of MySQL-GUI is in
> /usr/local/mysqlgui.  Any help would be appreciated.

I believe MySQL-GUI  tried by default to connect to the mysql server
(mysqld) running on localhost using the socket connection (as supposed to
tcp/ip ). The error message you are getting seems to indicate that your
computer does not run mysqld. Check out here how to get it started:
<http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Automatic_start.html>

/h