On 11/10/02 9:42 PM, "daniel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i've made connections to a remote mysql from one server to our main one and
> the main one is running socket connections ?

I guess I lost you.
All I wanted to say is this:

If you run mysql (client) and mysqld (server) on the same computer you can
just type: 'mysql' on the command line and then the client automatically
connects you to the server using the socket. The computer in this case is
called 'localhost':
you are connected to any network or not
host: because your computer hosts the mysql server
As soon as you connect to a mysql server running on a remote computer you
can either telnet or ssh into that remote computer, call mysql and connect
via the socket on that computer but in many cases (if you have remote
connect privileges) you can just call:
    mysql -h the.remote.dbhost -P 3306 -u dbusername -p
and use your local client (running on your computer) to connect to the
mysqld (server) running on the remote computer and then you use tcp/ip and
not the socket.

...but you knew all this anyway

:-)/h