Get on out there with your bad self Michael !!

:)

~KB

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael T. Babcock [mailto:mbabcock@;fibrespeed.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 3:23 PM
To: David Kramer
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: Why does safe_mysqld runs as root?

David Kramer wrote:

>By boot sequence Im guessing you mean my different run levels? rcX.d?  Im
>guessing that I need to set the user value within the start-up script it
>self rather than my.cnf???  I thought my.cnf was the config file that the
>start-up scripts reference, by me setting a the attribute user=mysql under
>[mysqld], mysql should start under the user mysql?

I'm going to say this again:
    - The user that mysqld runs as is configured in my.cnf as per the
online documentation at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en (great stuff; read
it lots).
    - The user that launches safe_mysqld is just that; the user that
launches safe_mysqld.  Most boot scripts run as root, making root the
user that launches safe_mysqld; don't try to make it more complicated
than it is.

--
Michael T. Babcock
C.T.O., FibreSpeed Ltd.