I am trying to install mysql.

I have completed 2 steps

1.  running the installer
2.  putting a my.cnf file in the /library/mysql/var directory
3.  Installation has already made a mysql startup file and as per the
instructions below

    Next we need to start the MySQL server before we can set the root
account password. The installer will install a Mac OS X Startup Item
into /Library/StartupItems/MySQL. This will make sure that the
MySQL server is started at boot. You can execute this startup item
manually to ensure that the MySQL daemon is properly started. You
can do so by executing the following command as root in the terminal:

shell> /Library/StartupItems/MySQL/MySQL &

i need to check this

when i run this it says you must be root to run ConsoleMessage

what do i do. I am aleready the admin user.

For your info I am trying to install on Macosx Jaguar 10.2.2

Bhavul