ok, I'm not 100% sure about this but I've had what I think may be a similar
prob trying to get MySQL working with a radius server - header files and
shared libraries not being found by the radius server compile.

I _THINK_ its because when you install from a rpm of the binary you don't
get the header files and shared libraries.

The way round this is to install it from the _source_ .tar.gz - then you get
the server, client apps, shared libraries and everything.

I did try to install and compile the source rpm on my system but it couldn't
even unpack the rpm, so in the end I gave up and went with the standard
.tar.gz. It does run fine on RH linux 7.1.

You have to dl the source then compile it. Depending on your linux setup you
may have probs with the C or C++ compilers on your system - I spose the only
way is to suck it and see.

One advantage of this is that you can specify an install directory when you
run the ./configure command before compiling as follows: ./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/mysql.

So you unpack the tar file, cd to the directory it creates (mysql-VERSION),
then run
shell> ./configure (with any options you may want),
then run
shell> make
then
shell> make install

This did sort out a problem I was having with my radius compile not finding
mysql.h

I hope this helps somewhat, but pls bear in mind I'm feeling my way through
this too as I go, so I may be a bit wide of the mark for your case.

Hmm, must go back to Edinburgh some time, its a beautiful place : )

Cheers,

Paul