Michael,

I have been running tests on 4.0.6 with big insert transactions on Linux. I
set max_binlog_size to 2M and max_packet_size to 16M. So far no errors with
tables up to 400 MB in size.

Looks like MySQL always writes a big transaction as one big block to the
current binlog file, and does not cut the binlog file into 2 MB pieces.
Thus, it looks like the binlog file rotation cannot be the source of the bug
you have observed.

If you look in the datadir with

ls -l

the actual sizes of the master's binlogs, could it be that there really is a
1.3 GB file there?

Can you make a script which would always repeat the replication failure?

What is the CREATE TABLE statement of your table?

What is your my.cnf like?

Regards,

Heikki