On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 10:51, Mark wrote:
> [...]

With MySQL 4.0 that has a GPL client every program that is distributed
linked with MySQL needs to be under a GPL compatible license. We will
extend the compatibility to cover a given set of OSI (opensource.org)
approved licenses.

As for Perl is has two licenses one which is less restrictive than the
GPL.

> I read the MySQL Licensing Policy, and, to me, it said: "If your application
> is NOT licensed under GPL or compatible OSI license approved by MySQL AB and
> you intend to distribute MySQL software (be that internally or externally),
> you must first obtain a commercial license to the MySQL software in
> question."
>
> The licence talks about DISTRIBUTING the MySQL software itself; or, as it
> says, "More specifically: a) If you include the MySQL server in your non
> Open Source application, you need a commercial licence for the MySQL server,
> b) If you include one of the MySQL drivers in your non Open Source
> application (so that your application can run with MySQL), you need a
> commercial licence for the driver(s) in question. The MySQL drivers
> currently include an ODBC driver, a JDBC driver and the C language library."
>
> Except, of course, that most people do NOT distribute MySQL software, or
> drivers with their own programs. Besides, if I write a program in Perl,
> which
> uses MySQL, it is still Perl that distributes drivers and such. My OWN
> program does no such thing. My program just says: "Use DBI;".

Sorry, but MySQL is a part of the combined work. So if you distribute a
Perl program that is indirectly linked with MySQL you need to distribute
the source of you program.

/David
MySQL Co-Founder