On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 13:42, Pae Choi wrote:
> I do not know about MySQL marketing strategies. But as far as
> GPL goes, it even encourge to sell.
>

> "Does the GPL allow me to sell copies of the program for money?
> Yes, the GPL allows everyone to do this. The [1]right to sell copies is part
> of the definition of free software. Except in one special situation, there
> is no limit on what price you can charge. (The one exception is the required
> written offer to provide source code that must accompany binary-only
> release.)"
>
> [1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html
>

> Maybe MySQL.com is concern about own profit so does other
> commercial vendors. They all use public-domain code in some
> degree.
>
> I do encourge everyone same as GPL to sell your own products
> without concerning about license violation. Just put the copy of
> GPL license, as well as source and binary combo. in the
> corresponding package. (I personally think that the binary will
> be a necesssary portion when you distribute your own products
> and provide the URL where they can download the source.) And
> you can have your own license in your products.

You are wrong. I have talked with the people who wrote the GPL many
times and if you did the above they (or us if it where MySQL you
mistreated) will send you some legal letters.

You must provide the source for the combined work when you distribute
under the GPL. But you can sell the MySQL code for money under the GPL
without our approval. But you may not use our trademark. And you can
not stop the customer giving it all away for free (since you had to
give him/her source code).

I have been in court once discussing this issue and I would like to
stay out of those kind of issues for the rest of my life.

> You have all the rights for your own products same as the GPL
> packages do for their own.

/David
MySQL Co-Founder