Daevid --

...and then Daevid Vincent said...
%
% > You mentioned a
% >   echo "<PRE>".$sql."</PRE><P>";
% > in your first post; what do you see?
%
% I see exactly what I expected to see. Basically the contents of a db.sql
% file read in that looks like this roughly:

OK.  That's good, and now we know, too :-)  Of course, you're still using
fake examples instead of showing actual output...

% Etc.. Everything looks exactly like the .sql file does and the .sql file
% works perfectly if I redirect it in via the command line or even via an
% system() call.

OK.  BTW, if you can use a system call you should be able to use the
mysqldump suggestion from another reply.

%
% > That's good, and we'll assume for the moment that your script doesn't
% > error through to die but instead makes a successful connection.
%
% Yes. All that stuff works great.

Good.

%
% > By the way, I see you quoting around your variables like
% >   print "This is " . $var . " here" ;
%
% Yes, its' for readability in HomeSite. It color codes things, and that's
% a nice way to see it proper.

How interesting.  Thanks for the info!

%
% > How does it fail?  Give us more detail.
%
% With the error I posted earlier:
%
% > 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near ';
% > CREATE TABLE Departments (
% >   DeptID int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,' at line 4

Ah -- but you didn't post the resultant SQL statement that glued all of
this together so that we can see what line 4 is!

%
% It's always on the second table. Order is irrelevant.
% Notice the ";" that it chokes on. That only happens when I separate the
% CREATE commands of course. But there is no other way to deliminate them.

My guess is that Joseph's suggestion that you can only do single commands
in a php mysql() command is probably right.

%
% > No, that doesn't make sense.  It shouldn't matter how you create and
% > populate the variable, as long as the end result content is the same.
% > Since it works when you lay it out manually, it seems very
% > probable that your filling it out in steps has some problems.
%
% I think I'm right ;-)

Could be :-)

%
% Try if for yourself and see what I mean. Just try to create a db and two
% tables and you'll see it choke.

Actually, while I do both php and mysql, I haven't yet done mysql from
php -- and so I'd be a lousy debugging source for that :-)

%
% d

HTH & HAND

mysql query,
:-D
- --
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"