Boy, you guys are die-hard MySQL fans :-) I think your
strong defending convinced us MySQL can handle 120
million records. But I know some ordinary users out
there like me who are not experts on tuning the MySQL
performance (they did send me private emails saying
they encountered the similar slow join problem). So
please help us to keep the faith.

We are trying to develop a simple biology database to
maintain some DNA Sequence information. My problem is
coming from the following two tables:

CREATE TABLE NewSequence
(
        Seq_ID          varchar(50)     NOT NULL,
        GenBank_Acc     varchar(10),
        Organism        varchar(50)     NOT NULL,
Seq_Type  enum("EST","GSS","EST Contig","EST
Singlet","GSS Contig","GSS Singlet","GSS Plasmid
Contig","Protein") NOT NULL,
        Seq_Length      int             NOT NULL,
        Seq_Title       text            NOT NULL,
        Comment         text,
        Entry_Date      date            NOT NULL,
        PRIMARY KEY     (Seq_ID),
        UNIQUE  (GenBank_Acc),
        INDEX (Seq_Type),
        INDEX (Organism)
);

CREATE TABLE NewSequence_Homolog
(
        Seq_ID          varchar(50)     NOT NULL,
        Homolog_PID     int             NOT NULL,
        Homolog_Desc    varchar(50)     NOT NULL,
        Homolog_Species varchar(50),
        PRIMARY KEY     (Seq_ID, Homolog_PID)
);

--- "Michael T. Babcock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>