> Why can't you use an Env variable to point to the server you want to query
> from and switch the value back and forth as needed in the case that you want
> to periodically switch back and forth between servers?  Or write a function
> that runs on server1 to query against the tables on server2 making the
> results available to a query to be run on server1?

You can do all that.  Unfortunately that wasn't, as Paul rightly picked up, the
crux of my question.  I wasn't asking how (or if) to do it programatically.  I was
asking if it can be done from the (connection made by the) mysql command
line.
I know how to do it programatically and that is what I'm going to have to end
up resorting to.  I was asking my question in hopes that there was an easier
way.

Chris