From: Clemente [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 21 January 2003 10:44
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mandatory server downtime?

Hi there,
My hosting company tells me that they need to take down the MySQL server
every day for 30 to 60 minutes to make a backup. This is the quote:
"Please note that mysql is shutdown daily sometime between 3am and 9 am
US eastern for 30 minutes to an hour. This is get a good backup of all
mysql databases on the server during the daily backup process."

Is this normal? This implies that my dynamic generated web site is down
during a 2.1% to a 4.2% of the time (not counting any other server down
time). I hear that normal down times for web sites are more like 1% or
less.
Is this really necessary? Does MySQL requires to be shutdown to generate
a good backup?
Any comments are welcome. Thanks a lot.

--

Clemente Zamora